Discover Share info about Home Design and Features

Tuesday, September 6, 2016
Subscribe

Karen Designs WHAT I HAVE LEARNED SO FAR WITH MY KITCHEN MAKEOVER- Design Ideas






Hope you guys had a great holiday weekend!  

The only place that wasn't a mess during the construction was my bedroom so I spent a lot of time in there....but yesterday around 4:30 everyone was finished up and gone!

After reading the title of this post you are probably thinking OK.....what?

Well the first and most important thing is this "Know when you don't know".  Seriously I did what I tell everyone NOT to do and started backing into this little reno.

What I should have done was call Michael on day one.  What I would recommend to you is spend the money and consult with an architect, contractor and a designer.....even if only for 1 hour.

I started with having the cabinets raised and new doors made.  
Wrong.
Then I had the countertops installed.
Wrong.

Why?  Because the shiplap is thicker and I had to have Phil [the cabinet guy] come get a drawer and door to be made smaller.  

If I had it to do over....I would remove the countertops first, have the cabinet boxes [to take them to the ceiling] made, then have all of the trim done, install countertops and paint.

25 years in this business and still learning.

So let's get to some pictures....


All new trim around doors and windows.  It's called Backband.

New crown called Bedmoulding.
What a difference just that made.

Painted the door SW Urbane Bronze.  
For some reason the door was about 2 1/2 inches shorter than the windows so Michael suggested to add a piece of wood to the top and paint it the dark color....kind of an "eye trick"!

Invisible door.  It has a touch latch on it.


These huge brackets are everything to me. See before how the right side of the kitchen just kind of fell away....

This was the perfect way to add some architectural interest to my 8 ft ceiling room!

 The tile will go up to the ceiling...no crown.  The big decision is whether to add a shelf on either side of the window.  My gut says NO.....because I really think the brackets need to be the star.....your thoughts?

Then if that wasn't enough....

More details....!


I am doing sheer linen panels here to help raise the eye.  Down come the natural wood shades which I got a Target about 15 years ago!

I know y'all thought I was crazy to sell the pine bookcases but I think this will be a more updated look.

Here's a treat for you.... how my kitchen looked fairly soon after moving in [1994].
  
Before the bookcases were even built!

Yep that is some nice fake ivy on top of the cabinets:)
 
I had white corian countertops, white sink and a white faucet!  I feel like I have come back to my roots....ha ha.

I know someone will ask.....the paint color is of course my favorite....BM White Dove.

The shiplap is spruce.

This week the tile and lighting....can't wait!

  16 days until the photoshoot.....living on the edge:)

Shapooped